Lower the garbage you contribute to the planet. You can start by being aware of the products you buy and what about them will hit the landfill. What if there were a limit on the amount of waste you could contribute to the landfill every month? How could you work to reduce this?
- No Plastic Bags – Never use plastic bags at the grocery store. Try and bring your own reusable bags. If you forget, carry what you can by hand and then ask for paper. Plastic is made from natural resources and pollutes the air when recycled and adds to greenhouse gases.
- Avoid fast food – it isn’t good for us but also consumes a huge amount of natural resources and then contributes a vast amount of garbage to the environment. About 50 million Americans eat at a fast food restaurant every day!
- Reusable Water Bottles – get one for yourself! Don’t buy soda or water in a plastic bottle. HUGE polluter and recycling is also a big hit on greenhouse gas.
- Recycle and Compost – Be aware that recycling does leave a carbon footprint so reuse whenever possible! If you live in an apartment or don’t have a big compost bin, look into compostnow.org to pick up your compost. They even provide a container!
- Water – So many people do not have water available at the tap – even in the US! Take short showers. Use the dishwasher instead of doing dishes by hand and only run it when it is full. Use rainbarrels in your yard to water your garden